[78-L] notes from Classical Shop (Chandos)

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 08:36:28 PST 2010

*Hugues Cuénod (1902 – 2010)

*The Swiss-born tenor Hugues Cuénod has died at the age of 108.

Did he make any 78s?

*Henryk Mikolaj Górecki (1933 – 2010), the Polish composer best known
*for his Symphony No. 3 Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, has died.

A classical composer whose name is known to many young people. Did he
make any 78s?

*EMI in trouble again. EMI has more debt covenants to meet in March
2011, and needs more cash to shore it up. Guy Hands is currently unable
to persuade his Terra Firma investors to stump up more money to prevent
the company’s defaulting on the £3.2bn debt and may lose EMI to CitiBank.

Everytime I read about EMI and their troubles I think of the ARSC
Conference in London in 2001 and that INCREDIBLE collection of
Berliners. Imagine that being in the hands of a large bank. I wonder if
they would sell them to me?

joe salerno