[78-L] 45s (was: 78-L Digest... Columbia EP numbering System was Wingy On Columbia)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 16 11:34:12 PST 2010

On 12/16/2010 11:09 AM, Ron L'Herault wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere that the RCA 45 player was designed with a very
> quick changer to minimize interruption in long programs and that the large
> hole meant that music would not be played back from close to the center of
> the disk where the sound would deteriorate.
>
> Ron L

As others have said, all of this is correct except that the hole was not
an inhibiting factor in keeping the grooves away from the center.  The
original system licensing rules required the grooving be no more than
about a half inch, inner groove about 6-inches in diameter.  This kept
the surface speed fairly similar from outer to inner groove, MUCH better
than on the Lp and other discs.

In order for the changer to be quick it had to be designed for ONLY
7-inch records.  Three-speed changers with room for large discs could
not change the records fast enough, which is why early RCA 45 consoles
had two changers.  In fact, the very first changers were TOO fast, and
had to be regeared to be slowed down!  The hold-and-drop mechanism is
totally in the large spindle.

And once again, the 45 was not a reaction to Columbia's Lp.  The 45 had
been in development since before the war, and I have some of the
experimental ledger pages from as early as 1942.

Because the records changed so lightning fast, RCA meant the 45 system
to be used for extended works.  They determined that the musical rests
where many side changes happened were often longer than the 3/4 to 1 1/2
seconds of the side change.  But once 3-speed changers came out the side
change time returned to that of 78s which was not fast enough to be as
unnoticeable.