[78-L] Wingy on Columbia

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Dec 15 18:30:15 PST 2010

I have no information on 10" Columbia LPs in an A- series.
There was a Co A-1000 series for EP-sets and EPs, incl. Benny Goodman.
Why an A and a B series?
Some sets include EPs, others 45rpm singles.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Indeed, CL 2029 is Duke Ellington, "Piano in the Foreground."
While I don't think I have all of the answers, it appears that Columbia A-xx refers to 10" LPs
and B-xx-x to records in 7" 45 rpm sets while B-xxxx were standalone 45 rpm issues.
This must have been a real headache to keep track of, as a 45 made from a 78
no matter how old took the 78 issue's number and simply added a "4-" to it,
with the 78 issue retaining the whole number. For example:

Columbia 4-36096 Xavier Cugat and his Orchestra
(ZSP 6210) Yo Ta Mamora
(ZSP 6211) Anna Boroco Tinde

This is identified as a stray belonging to Columbia 45 rpm set B 65 as sides "2" and "7."
The set was "Rhumba with Cugat," issued as a 78 album in 1941; 36096 was the
number of the 78 within the set. "Rhumba" was also issued verbatim as a very early LP,
as CL-6005, in 1948.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
<<<