[78-L] Freddy Martin redux

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Dec 13 20:26:16 PST 2010

It turns out that Johnson and Shirley are correct. Mr. Martin's first
name was spelled Freddy.
Bernard Shirley writes that he has a copy of a letter from F. Martin  to
John R. T. Davies in 1969 in which it says,
"I am Freddy and have always been Freddy. Brunswick couldn't spell my
name and soon everybody else got it wrong. When signing I spell it
correctly, but as all my Brunswick checks were made out to Freddie even
my bank can't get it right. You call me Freddie and I'll insist on
calling you Jim."
The UK Decca files use Freddy, correctly.
Mal