[78-L] Robert Johnson records claimed to be recorded 20%

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Mon Dec 13 20:00:43 PST 2010

If the persons checking the tests elsewhere weren't the original engineers, or didn't know Johnson's sound, who knows?  They may have simply passed and gone into production.  I and David Lennick mentioned several unbelievable things getting through on Brunswick on another thread; and those were glaring errors, not something that could be passed over in blissful ignorance like a different key if you don't know the original source.  I could see some third party saying "well, it's okay, let it through" and not knowing any better. That's why this is coming up again; so many variables to work through...

I'll still go along with the idea the discs are "right"; but I'm also interested in alternatives as there seems to be at least some considered opinion going along with them.  Scholarly curiosity.