[78-L] Discographic question

Sherry Mayrent smnet at oyfpro.com
Mon Dec 13 06:11:46 PST 2010

I have a question concerning how properly to list a recording in my
database when both copies that I own have the labels reversed and the
incorrect matrix number stamped on the recording as well.  The
problem is made even more interesting by the fact that this release
(Columbia E6026) is actually a "reissue" of two Favorite recordings,
and the matrix number printed under the catalog number on the
Columbia label is actually the Favorite catalog number (which is
correct for the title printed there, though not for the actual
tune).  But in addition to that Favorite number/Columbia matrix, the
Favorite matrix number (as reported in Rainer Lotz's discography) for
that title is also stamped into the disc.

Is everyone confused yet?  I wouldn't have known about the reversal
except that one of the sides is an instrumental version of a very
well-known Yiddish folk song.  And I've had other situations where
the labels are reversed, but the information stamped into the record
is correct, which feels easier to deal with, somehow.

Anyway, my dilemma is, do I list what is on the label and be forever
confused, do I list what is on the label with a note that it is
incorrect, or do I list the correct information?

All opinions would be welcome.

-- Sherry

Sherry Mayrent
Associate Director, KlezKamp