[78-L] microphone technology

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Dec 10 15:34:11 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Not that Brunswick was ever known for using up-to-date technology once it
> went
> electrical. I very much like that performance, by the way. Wish I could
> find
> the late laminated pressing of it. They also kept the volume down and
> pressed
> on noisy shellac which got worse by the 1930s.

Prior to some unknown (to me) point in the late 1920's..."Microphone
technology"
had gotten as far (and stopped at!) the "carbon microphone" which was
basically
the "talking" half of a telephone handset." This required (and moduilated) a
steady
DC voltage supplied by a battery in telephones. At the unknown point,
crystal
(later  ceramic) microphones were introduced; these translated motion of
their
diaphragms into electric current  at  (more or less) the 1-volt level now
known
as "line level."

I leave further detailas to those who know...!

Steven C. Barr