[78-L] BE Nit Pick

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 8 15:23:05 PST 2010

Not only is this a worthless reference source, you read it wrong.  The
1911 reference is to an "electrodynamic telephone" which is not even
discussed by the company.  It probably was an experiment by one of the
two founders, Edwin Pridham and Peter Jensen.  Together they worked on a
loudspeaker in 1915 which is what the next reference is to, but this was
just when they started experimental work.  They formed the company in
1917 and did not have any big success until 1919 when they developed a
public address system that was used for an outdoor speech by President
Wilson.  Here's a picture of it from that year
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=322920

Have you looked thru radio journals from 1920, 21 and 22 to see what
kind of equipment was actually available on the market?  THAT is where
you get information. You don't go to a web page from a guy selling a
stock certificate to paper collectors. He doesn't know anything about
radios, only about paper collectibles.  When was the last time you
wandered into an antique store and got accurate info about phonographs
and records?

Furthermore, notice the item "1922 first amplified phonograph".  I know
what that is about because it is based on the "Magnavox transmitter
tonearm" they advertised in 1922 which has a carbon mic stuck halfway up
an acoustical tone arm.  On the company's web site they list this for
1915 and say "now the whole family can enjoy the music".  How can we
trust a site that doesn't even understand that there were horn
phonographs in 1889 a whole auditorium could enjoy.  Plus, Paul Fortin
at GE had developed an electric pickup head in 1915, while the maganavox
arm in 1922 used an acoustical reproducer.  All this stuff is not being
written by researchers or experts.

FIND ME AN AD FROM 1920 THAT SHOWS A RADIO RECEIVER WITH A LOUDSPEAKER.
It's got to be an ad printed in 1920.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com