[78-L] Buffalo Radio-TV Memories

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 6 13:25:51 PST 2010

Might be of more than local interest. Be warned, it will have pledge breaks.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/television/article270901.ece

Remember when: WNED special recalls great moments in Buffalo broadcasting
By Anne Neville

NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:
December 2, 2010, 07:57 AM

A young Irv Weinstein, an even younger Kevin O'Connell, and such memorable
shows as "Meet the Millers" and "Hi-Teen Quiz" will return to TV screens when
an hourlong show packed with decades of radio and television memories debuts
Monday.

The WNED-TV local production of "Don't Touch That Dial: Great Moments in Local
Broadcasting," traces the history of Buffalo radio and television from the
1950s through the early 1980s, with plenty of unforgettable -- and some better
left forgotten -- moments.

---

TV PREVIEW

"Don't Touch that Dial: Great Moments in Local Broadcasting"

  8 p.m. Monday and 5 p.m.  Dec. 11 on WNED-TV

-------

"If people were born and raised in the Buffalo area, watching Buffalo
television, they will not only love seeing the vintage clips of newscasts or
'Rocketship 7,' but they're going to love the interviews with the folks that we
were able to get," says Lynne Bader-Gregory, producer of the show. "Seeing
these people now will be another thrill."

The show includes plenty of archival footage, as well as fresh interviews with
Kevin O'Connell, Dan Neaverth, Rich Kellman, Joey Reynolds, Barry Lillis, Doris
Jones, Susan Banks, Sheila Murphy, Van Miller, and Weinstein's sidekicks in the
legendary top-rated Channel 7 news, sports and weather team, Tom Jolls and Rick
Azar.

The show begins with radio, starting with WGR-AM in 1922, followed by WEBR,
WKBW and WBEN, founded by The Buffalo Evening News. Clint Buehlman ruled the
morning air for decades, providing entertaining news and talk, and
groundbreaking disc jockey George "Hound Dog" Lorenz ushered in the era of rock
'n' roll.

"Buffalo" Bob Smith never forgot his roots when his "Howdy Doody Show" went
national, but another Buffalonian, Fran Striker, worked at WEBR before going on
to create "The Lone Ranger," "The Green Hornet" and "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon."

The 50,000-watt WKBW radio, playing Top 40 songs, dominated the eastern
seaboard at night. Radio veteran Neaverth quips that the dramatic and
high-energy "WKBW Pulse Beat News," featuring a very young Irv Weinstein,
"would be enough to scare you, even if there was nothing happening!"

Neavearth calls Joey Reynolds, who worked at a string of local and national
stations, "probably one of the best, most exciting disc jockeys I've ever heard
and worked with, and totally irresponsible ... [he] had every top radio job in
the country for six months, and then he would do something really silly, or
stupid and would get fired."

When the story shift to the rise of television, video augments the soundtracks.

Archival footage was contributed by all three local TV channels, and
Bader-Gregory says one particularly interesting sequence fell into their laps.

Barry Lillis, who punctuated his weather forecasts on Channel 2 with wacky
antics, tells about a Halloween broadcast from a viewer's yard that had been
set up as a spooky graveyard. The story segues into a historic clip that shows
a lighted candelabra toppling to the ground as Lillis talks. Still talking,
Lillis throws himself nimbly onto a casket and blows out the flames before they
can spread. The clip ends, and Lillis quips, "and as I'm trying to do the
weather, I'm stomping out the fire."

"He told that story without us even knowing that that tape existed," says
Bader-Gregory. "Channel 2 had delivered their footage to us probably three
weeks later and my jaw dropped when I saw that and I said, 'We absolutely have
to include this.'"

Other highlights include:

•WKBW radio's 1968 Halloween night adaptation of H.G. Wells' classic, "War of
the Worlds," in which local radio and TV personalities broadcast fictitious
reports of an alien landing on Grand Island. As it had 30 years earlier, the
broadcast caused panic among people who had missed the starting explanation or
failed to recognize the classic. "It was great, it was a lot of fun," says
Weinstein, who imaginatively narrated the action from high atop Buffalo City
Hall until the aliens got him.
•Sports coverage through the years, including Van Miller's Buffalo Bills
broadcasts and Rick Jeanneret's enthusiastic Sabres calls. Neaverth calls
Miller "the all-time greatest broadcaster in Buffalo, in my opinion." Miller
says, "I was a Buffalo fan, naturally, but I tried to be very honest and
objective in the play by play."
•The long-dominant Channel 7 Eyewitness News, from the unforgettable opening
tune to the pointed question, "It's 11 o'clock, do you know where your children
are?" Weinstein discusses his punchy, often alliterative lines, although in a
phone interview from his home in Irvine, Calif., he denies ever using the
phrase "pistol-packing punks" on TV, saying he was not sure he could have kept
a straight face. "It was a chemistry, it was something that people saw in Irv,
Rick and Tom that they liked," says Azar of the trio's success.
•The role of women in TV news, which lagged far behind their male counterparts
until well into the 1970s. Pioneers included Liz Dribben, Paula Drew and Jones,
who recalls that she often modeled fashions provided by local stores and
affixed sparkly icons indicating snow or rain to her weather maps. Later women
reporters and anchors included Carol Crissy (later Jasen), Susan Banks and
Sheila Murphy, the first full-time prime-time co-anchor.
•The Blizzard of '77, about which O'Connell says, "I think the blizzard for me
was the first test that I had at communicating, really communicating ...
information that [people] needed. We had to be bigger than a weather forecast
at that end of the desk at that time." True to form, a clip shows Lillis going
to lunch on a sled pulled by two dogs.
•Programs for young people, ranging from "It's Academic" to "A Visit With
Santa," which ran annually from 1948 to 1973 on Channel 4. "Even as a kid, I
knew that was the real Santa," says Mike Randall. Tom Jolls says people still
mention his red-jacketed days as "Commander Tom," and "that bit of recognition
makes my whole past worthwhile." Dave Thomas reminisces about being at the helm
of Rocketship 7, dealing with the antics of Promo the robot.
Bader-Gregory says she "really enjoyed listening to these broadcasters talk
about not only their own careers but each other. You could tell that even if
they competed with each other on the air, they had a real respect for the
industry and when they looked back, they knew the kind of history they were
making."

But Weinstein differs a bit. "It depends on how far back you go," he says. "In
the really early days, it was very competitive and there wasn't a lot of
camaraderie. There were individuals who I chummed around with, but generally
speaking there was not a lot of warm interplay. That developed about 20 years ago.

"There was more palling around in radio, when after we were done with our day's
labors we might meet at a bar or at the Town Restaurant for some rice pudding
and hot coffee."

A free viewing party for the premiere will begin at 7 p.m. Monday in Founding
Fathers Pub, 75 Edward St. It will be hosted by local history Web sites
ForgottenBuffalo.com and StaffAnnouncer.com, whose creators, Steve Cichon and
Marty Biniasz, also appear on the show.

  aneville at buffnews.com