[78-L] Pagliacci set on British Columbia [FWD]

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 01:29:30 PST 2010

Hi

Quite alot of 1900 to 1930 records (especially opera) turn up along with 40s and
50s ones of the same music when I see them in junk shops etc in England ... all
from the same original owner.  It is my belief that some remained in the
catalogues and some were still available later...record shops who got records
delivered to them in 1920 or 25 or earlier would still have them in the store
room or basement in the 40s or 50s if there were any copies that hadn't sold...

There was a record shop in my town that did this...if you went in the shop in
the 50s and asked for a record and they had it ...they'd sell it to you - simple
as that - so if you asked for a Caruso or BBC Symph Orch item or whatever from
pre-1930, even a single sided record and they had it, you would get it - whether
it was in the catalogue or not...I guess alot of shops wouldn't have returned
records that were deleted from catalogues.

People would have encountered 80rpm records when buying used records - 'record
libraries' and other means of obtaining used records sprang up in England after
WW2 and were successful due to people's lack of funds.

Just some thoughts.
Matthew.