[78-L] Hank, the Yodeling Ranger

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 4 19:18:27 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <78records at cdbpdx.com>
> Here is a list of the recordings:
> HANK, THE YODELING RANGER:
> RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - B-4694
WANDERING ON / YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO TELL ME
> RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD (Lt blue) - B-4733
>'LL TELL THE WORLD THAT I LOVE YOU / THE GALVESTON ROSE
> RCA VICTOR (lost)
> RCA BLUEBIRD SERIES (Black) - B-4737
BROKEN DREAMS / THE RAINBOW'S END
> A VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Black) - B-4739
WHEN THAT SOMEONE YOU LOVE DOESN'T LOVE YOU/ THE DAYS ARE LONG AND I AM
WEARY
> A VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - B-4742
LONESOME BLUE YODEL / WAS THERE EVER A PAL LIKE YOU?
--end B series--
RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - 55-3208
GOODNIGHT LITTLE BUCKAROO / YOU'LL REGRET THOSE WORDS MY DARLING

RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - 55-3214
THE SOLDIER'S LAST LETTER / YOU BROKE THE CHAIN THAT HELD OUR HEARTS

RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - 55-3216
YOUR LITTLE BAND OF GOLD / HEADIN' HOME

RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - 55-3220
CAN'T HAVE YOU BLUES / DARLING I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

HANK, THE SINGING RANGER:

RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - 55-3227
MY KALUA SWEETHEART / TOO MANY TEARS

RCA VICTOR BLUEBIRD SERIES (Lt blue) - 55-3232
I'LL NOT FORGET MY MOTHER'S PRAYER / THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAINS

> I assume these were most likely recorded originally in the 1930s-early
> 1940s and these are re-issues..?? >
No! They were recorded between c.1938 and 1953...for the most part ln
RCA(C)'s Montreal
studios. Rural Canada offered a huge market for "hillbilly" recordings; like
"Appalachia," the rural
population had grown up with, and still enjoyed, the Anglo-Celtic "folk"
music of the 19th century!
This was the music which would evolve (thanks to Dalhart et al) into
country/"hillbilly" music...
which is still "anthemic" to the US working class! Sadly, "New Country" has
degenerated into
revivals of mid-sixties  "rock" with the requisite pedal steel added to make
it sound "country!!"

Steven C. Barr

Thanks! CDB