[78-L] Hank, the Yodeling Ranger

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 4 07:39:53 PST 2010

If they say "Bluebird Series" they are definitely not original issues. That
designation didn't appear on Canadian labels till after 1945 or 1946.
Incidentally, I suspect that Hank's 1943 sides were recorded somewhere other
than RCA's Montreal studios, since Victor was adhering to the AFM ban at the
time. The quality is different on the ones I've heard, including mike pops and
other technical problems that wouldn't have been allowed even on Canadian
Victor's normally crappy recordings, but if they were brought in from outside,
Hugh Joseph probably looked the other way and issued them.

dl