[78-L] A Sonora Victor

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 18:57:14 PST 2010

I've seen Sonora wind up phonographs from time to time(such as the one I saw on
either "Pawn
Stars" or "American Pickers")and I have couple of mid '40s Sonoras in my
collection:one by Ray
Anthony(from the mid '40s;the selection is "Please Be Kind")and the other by
Artie Shaw imitator
Jerry Wald("They Say It's Wonderful")from 1946.The latter I purchased from what
was the reco-
rd library of KOOS-AM in Coos Bay,Oregon in 1978.It has a typewritten date on a
white label.
I don't know much of the lable itself.Enlighten me.I found the Anthony 78 in a
thrift store in Rose-
burg,Oregon in 1987.I gave $.10 for it.Mentioning Roy Acuff,I had his OKeh of
"Freight Train B-
lues".His band was the "Crazy Tennesseeans" as I recall.I haven't had it in
years.I remember him

more from the television series "Hee Haw".I can't tell you how good a fiddler he
was.Bob Wills

wasn't that good from what I have heard although I had his records through about
1950("Boot
Heel Drag","Bubbles in My Beer" and one other,"I Realize").