[78-L] LYRIC Label by LYRAPHONE, Newark NJ.

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Nov 28 13:40:58 PST 2010

For anyone interested in the minutiae of label types it can be noted here -
possibly for the first time in 90 years - that 2 different types of label blanks
of the grey Lyric "cat" label exist, and both are shown at Glenn's site.
The first label type (also shown in ARLIE with 4702) has no dots in the rim
text after "AMERICA" & "NEWARK".  This type is used for all labels with the
indication "Lateral" and still used for the earliest issues which replace Lateral
by the price.
Then a new label blank was made, with 2 (!) additional dots - i.e. the kind of
difference I'm very fond of. Now the lower rim text reads:
"LYRAPHONE CO. OF AMERICA. NEWARK. N.J., U.S.A."
Also the position of the dot after "CO" is different.

I mentioned Lyric 4701 with a price and now it is confirmed that this is a later
pressing since ARLIE's 4702 states "Lateral".

My last image in the 9100 series (no 9200 series known to me) is 9108,
but contrary to 9107 it has a price of "In U.S.A. $1.25" (without Canada).
Is this a revised later price, or is this not 12"?

Han Enderman
===

I forgot to point out there was a Hebrew series and they also continued to
produce verticals alongside the laterals.  I don't have any of these records
and this brings in two other label designs that I don't have shown on my site.
Both of these are pictured in ARLIE.

Glenn