[78-L] did we ever find consensus as to how to clean these things(Diamond Discs)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Nov 27 18:17:36 PST 2010

Two points I would like to bring up.
1) I am not sure if everyone has seen the END of the subject line which
mentions that the subject is DIAMOND DISCS, not 78s in general.

2) There are two distinctly different types of Diamond Discs.  The early
ones have CELLULOID surfaces which were laid on as a sheet onto the wood
flour core.  It is only later that the surfaces became CONDENSITE which
was brushed on as a liquid in several coatings.  I am not sure if the
core was changed to China Clay at the same time as the switch to
Condensite, so there might be two types of Condensite discs.  We do know
that the wood flour core reacts to water much worse than does the china
clay type, and it is possible that the celluloid sheets react
differently to cleaning fluids differently than condensite, especially
since some discs had more coatings of condensite than others.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com