[78-L] Cleaning Edison DD (was Re: Mystery Edison Test)

Dave at Audio Tech Transfer audiotechtransfer at bresnan.net
Sat Nov 27 15:00:05 PST 2010

Based on advice obtained here I recently had great results cleaning dozens of Edison Diamond Discs.  I used my standard solution for vinyl (one part 91% isopropyl and two parts distilled water) and my DIY wet/vac record cleaning machine.  I just worked fast, kept fluids from the laminated edge of the records, and had no problems.

QUOTE:
And did we ever find consensus as to how to clean these things? This record needs a bath, and I recall that Edison's own suggestion of isopropyl alcohol is actually injurious to the record. In fact, getting it wet at all seems like a bad idea, but I would like to clean it up if I can.

Uncle Dave Lewis