[78-L] Mystery Edison Test

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Fri Nov 26 13:42:56 PST 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

David Lewis wrote:

> I have a blank labeled Edison test I can't identify:
>
> In label 51581-R in Wax 16265-B-4 1 "Whistle Your Blues Away" [?]
> In label 51531-L in Wax 16263-A-1  Unknown
>
> The "8" on the first side might be a "3;" it's indistinct. There
> was some handwritten red pencil on each side's label; it's partly
> erased and the only word clear to me is "Whistle" on the first
> side. I wasn't able to play the other side of the record in far
> enough to get a title from the vocal chorus, which doesn't come
> until the end of the record.
>
> These are 1920s dance sides, acoustic and probably late. Any idea
> what these are? And whether these are the issued takes?

Hmmmm...Regular pressing of Edison DD 51531 with missing labels? (The
labels often fall off, revealing a plain white paper "under-label.")
According to the "Abrams Files," 51531-L is "Ain't My Baby Grand" by
Nathan Glantz and his Orchestra, and Abrams shows the R side as
"Whistle (When You're Blue)" by Jack Stillman's Orch. No takes shown,
but matrices given as 10263/10265. Glantz side recorded 18 March
1925, Stillman side 1 April 1925.

Edison 51581 is Day Dreaming (Jack Stillman's Orch.)/Are You Coming
Home Tonight? (Charles Hart & H. Hindermeyer), also according to the
"Abrams Files."

Take care,

Joe
—