[78-L] World's First Rock & Roll Song Identified

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 10:51:24 PST 2010

I'm completely in Cary's corner on this one. While the summary that Kristen cites is fine, it is neither complete nor original. The article is typical of how carelessly crediblity is extended to know-nothings who wish to attach themselves to a subject without insight, honest contributions or original research, or even merely understanding the nuances of knowledge.  And it's yet another case of disfunctional media synergy, in this case with academia, where such lazy and self-serving hogwash finds too easy a refuge. Besides the (usually trite) pop music/cultural history classes that are common at many universities, there are currently a number of Rock or Popular music "historians" who are shlepping around the college lecture circuit peddling simplified, distorted, misleading and often plain wrong tripe about these subjects, and every time I see that one has been booked at a school in my area, I want to hire a realistic Don Robey impersonator to present a
 little backstage cease and desist order.

Ken Burns' revisionism, while not helpful, seemed, at least to me, to mostly result from naivete. This Burns has put his self-serving ignorance front and center, and deserves to have his standing degraded appropriately.

Warren
(who's okay with 78-l being occasionally quiet while real life occurs).