[78-L] World's First Rock & Roll Song Identified

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Nov 23 18:29:35 PST 2010

Not only that, Crudup wasn't much of a guitar player. Most of his blues were performed in the key of E, varying little. He had a cookie-cutter approach to his own songs and when played one after another, they sound very similar. His musical motifs could easily be swapped from one song to another. His real claim to fame, as has been said, is the fact that Elvis happened upon one of his Bluebird records and recorded his version of "That's All Right." (Elvis also did a version of Crudup's "My Baby Left Me."). But if you're looking to the antecedents for Elvis' Sun recordings as a guide to the elusive "first" rock 'n' roll record, you could point to "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Wynonie Harris, which Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly also recorded, and is a better record, IMHO.

Another error in the Burns claim - "That's All Right" was recorded October 7, 1947, not in 1946.

Cary Ginell