[78-L] KAY KYSER ON TCM ("YOU'LL FIND OUT)

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Nov 23 16:46:58 PST 2010

From: Dan Van Landingham
> Thanks for the info.That early morning cartoon bit the dust sometime in
> the '80s
as did another
> one that came on around 3:00 or 3:30.The television station was KPTV in
Portland,Oregon.I
> haven't seen them in many years although I did have them on Beta back
> around
1981 or '82.
> The host of the early morning show was a man in Portland named Rod
> Anders.They
were one of
> the first tv stations in Portland;KGW and KOIN were the other two.There
> was KHTV
which was
> a UHF station.It was off the air around 1960.I've seen some DVDs of those
> old
Warner Brothers
> cartoons at Wal Mart.They sold new for $1.00 but Goodwill sells them
> used,of
course,for $4.95.
> I was always rather leary of the quality but at $1.00 who cared.The
> afternoon
show was called
> "Cartoon Castle" which had an annoying theme song played on a Hammond
organ.Those shows
> were on the air back when I was in grade school in the early '60s.

Back in the days of my youth (1953-54), we (central Illinois) were served by
4 (IIRC) UHF channels. Since network programming was only to be had in the
morning and from 6 pm on, afternoon programming was aimed at us children!
A hapless local announcer was tasked with hosting these kids' shows
(re-yclept "Sheriff Sid," he hosted MANY ancient cartoons and western
films!) and as well had charge of a small set of bleachers (based on
the "Howdy Doody 'Peanut Gallery' ") full of us young admirers...?!

Of course, I no longer remember WHICH cartoons I saw then; IIRC I saw
many vintage "Popeye" films where he wanders about mumbling to
himself!

Have these ancient cartoons ever been collected/copied and sold
on CD/DVD/wotever...?!

Steven C. Barr