[78-L] Kinescopes (WAS Average Age)

Randy Watts rew1014 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 14:01:47 PST 2010

I don't know when broadcasters stopped airing kinescopes, but they were still being made into the 1970s. A film collector I used to know owned black and white kines of two early "All in the Family" episodes. Perhaps kinescopes retained a practical value in the days before videocassettes when reference copies were required. A 16mm print of a television show would have been easier, and more portable, to deal with than the same show on videotape.

Randy