[78-L] Dealing with the dealers

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Nov 16 13:21:40 PST 2010

My first job as teeny-teen was at the old Fillipi Book and Record Shop here
in Seattle.  Mr. Fillipi handled the books and Mrs. Fillipi handled the
records,  and each stayed out of the way of the other.  Mr. Fillipi was very
gentle and sweet-natured,  but Mrs.  could be either a charmer or a real
meanie.  She divided her record collector customers into one of two groups:
Either you were "good people" or you were a "horse's ass."  On occasion,
one in the former group would,  after committing some sort of usually vague
and/or minor  transgression,  be moved to the latter group.  But they never
got moved in the other direction,  ever.

I've not had that many dealings with retail sellers of 78s,  but my
impression is that those who auction 78s are generally less "prickly" and
more pleasant to be around.  Not that I didn't love the Fillipis,  but she
could be...difficult.

Taylor