[78-L] Minneapolis 78 store

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:56:00 PST 2010

I was in Minneapolis last Friday and went to Vintage Music Co. at 1820 E.
38th.  The store only stocks 78s and a small selection of vintage
phonographs. I had first gone there last November but didn't have much time
to look around.

This time I had a couple of hours and found some good 78s.

I finally found my favorite Slim Galliard-- "Laguna" on Melodisc 1012.  I
was hoping to find it on BeeBee but was just glad to find it.

Picked up Paul Gayten's version of "If You Got the Money, Honey, I've Got
the Time" (Gayten's title) on Regal 3302.  I love the crossovers and Gayten
gives Lefty Frizzell's song the New Orleans treatment using a sax instead of
fiddles and sings the phrase "we'll go to the park where it's dark and we
won't fool around" the way it was meant to be sung.

Couldn't resist "The Hep and the Square" by Fuzzy Knight and Duece
Spriggens Western Band on Jewel 7000.  It's a Cindy Walker song but I
haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Found some Texas label 78s I didn't have, too. A Blue Bonnet and a Longhorn
and an Ideal and a Duke and a Talent. Don't usually find them that far
north.

I highly recommend this store.  But a word of advice.  Don't be fooled by
the owner's prickly exterior.  He also has a prickly interior.  He has
little patience for foolish questions or the wasting of his time but once he
saw I was serious about 78s and careful with the merchandise and respectful
of him we got along great.  If you are in his neighborhood I think it's well
worth the visit.