[78-L] Kinescopes (WAS Average Age)

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 06:57:31 PST 2010

I am actually astonished how many of these kinescopes still exist. When I
was learning about the history of television when I was in my teens, I heard
all sorts of horror stories about such shows having been destroyed. My
father once passed by a dumpster on Columbus Avenue where he saw reels of
16MM film thrown in. He actually tried to grab a few of them for me (I was
about eight at the time), but they were a real mess according to him. It was
many years later that I figured that these were probably TV programs.

We know about Gleason's collection; the Honeymooners segments were
eventually released on home video. The real story was that Milton Berle had
a collection of his Texaco shows that he'd stored (I distinctly remember him
guesting on Tom Snyder's show where he insisted he had none of his own
shows). A pity they aren't available.

BTW, does anyone have the DVD collection of the Goldbergs TV shows? UCLA did
a fabulous job.

Jeff Sultanof