[78-L] Mimosa and Little Marvel

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Nov 14 20:09:48 PST 2010

From: Tyrone Settlemier
> I picked up some British discs recently.  Among them were some small
> diameter records.  Several are on the Mimosa label.  There seems to be no
> pattern to the size of the disc, other than they're smaller than 7" and
> larger than a Little Wonder disc.  Many of the dance tunes are quite
> peppy.
>
> There are also several Little Marvel records.  These are of two types, one
> of a smaller diameter, these have no catalog numbers.  The other type is a
> little larger, and are designated as electrically recorded, and have
> catalog numbers assigned.
>
> Would someone be so kind as to shed some light on these for me?  Also,
> there were some 7" Victory discs, which seem to date to about 1930.
> I really don't know where to begin to seek information about these.

In the latter 1920's, there developed in the UK a major market for "small"
78's; this
seems to have started with the Broadcast discs pressed by/for Vocalion (UK).
Mimosa
records were probably pressed for the Marks & Spencer store chain; all that
I own
are seven-inch (later eight!) records. AFAIK, Mimosa discs were pressed for
and
sold by the Marks & Spencer chain. I also own several "Little Marvel"
records...but
I have no idea who sold these...?!

Steven C. Barr