[78-L] Average age

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 11:50:41 PST 2010

The only thing I still have no clue of in terms of actual monetary value are
what few Glenn Miller 78s I do
have in my collection like my Brunswick copy of "Sweet Stranger".I had Les
Docks' book on 78s and

he claimed Miller's records had no value to speak of.I guess it was due to the
fact RCA had constantly
reissued everything the man recorded between 1938 and '42.What I am wondering
about is the one 10
record set I bought at a Salvation Army thrift store in Coos Bay,Oregon a couple
of years ago.The rec-
ord is the silver "collector's series".I had several different "collector's
series" 10 inch albums at one time
by Bunny Berigan,Muggsy Spanier plus an RCA 10 inch album of George Gershwin
doing the 1927 v-
ersion of "Rhapsody in Blue" with the 1929 version of "An American in Paris" on
the reverse.I gave that
album to Skeets Herfurt around thirty years ago as he played in an orchestra
where Gershwin conducted.
As I understand it,that was around 1936 when Skeets was with Jimmy Dorsey doing
the movie 'Pennies
From Heaven" with Bing Crosby and Satchmo.He told me how the bass clarinetist
wasn't playing his

part correctly and Skeets played it for him.The man wasn't punching out the bass
clarinet part.As for
Miller,I surmise it's his fan base who buys his records.The aforementioned 10
record set came out arou-
nd the time of the "Glenn Miller Story".The set was bound in a glosssy white
vinyl and was in two voluu-
mes.I also had it in 45 set but that album was incomplete and dated from 1955 as
it had the glossy black
label with the logo in colour with lettering in silver.The set was of Miller
radio programmes from 1938 t-
hrough 1942.