[78-L] Average age

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Nov 11 16:11:31 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Cary Ginell
> There aren't many consumer goods from 70-80 years ago that are still
> functioning and able of being enjoyed in today's world. I like to imagine
> where the 78 I am playing was first heard. Not the recording, but that
> actual record. Was it in some dry goods store in Goodlettsville,
> Tennessee? A furniture store in downtown Fort Worth? Or maybe it was owned
> by one of the performers themselves! The sound is a freeze-frame from a
> moment in time - like an audio photograph (is there where the term "waxing
> nostalgic" came from??)

Often, a stamp on the label (or for 1921-22 Brunswicks, on the run-out area!
will
identify the dealer who originally sold the disc. As well, many dealers had
their own sleeves printed; occasionally records will be found in original
vintage
"carry bags" identifying the original source. As well, it was not unusual
for
machines/records to be sold by local undertakers; I am guessing that the
manufacture of coffins fitted nicely into the sale of furniture (including
phonographs)...?!

Steven C. Barr