[78-L] Jack Palmer

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Nov 11 07:05:21 PST 2010

Jack worked very hard to keep the memory alive of his favorite
performer, Vernon Dalhart, and it comes through in the picture from ARSC
that Steve Ramm just posted. http://tinyurl.com/29faytb  It shows Jack
giving his paper wearing a hat that says Vernon Dalhart!  And he often
wore a T-shirt with Dalhart's photo. Maybe next ARSC we should all wear
a T-shirt with Jack's photo on it in his honor!!

His last ARSC posting (an accidental message) in mid October discussed
his recent acquisition of some classical CDs -- the other side of his
interests.   And his last 78-L posting was a wry comment about a
listmember's attempt at a humorous listing of the records we would want
played at our funeral.  He often mentioned his age and infirmities, but
despite disposing of much of his long-time collection, he seems to have
amassed a thousand CDs since then!  He was still going at it!

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Come to think of it, my copy of the Dalhart discography is still
> with the guy who might have bought a lot of Jack's 78s.  dl

Jack did have the Dalhart collection go all to one place, didn't he?

The obit says he was gathering materials for a second edition of the
Dalhart book.  Anybody contact the family yet to see what is going to
happen with this?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com