[78-L] Joe Guy, was Beiderbecke TV series on BBC

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 06:34:05 PST 2010

Dan Van Landingham wrote:

[Joe} Guy and [Billie] Holiday were together when she went to prison in 1947.Guy appearantly led her 1945 big  band.He vanished after 1947;I don't know what ever became of him.The only recorded work I ever heard by him was Cootie Williams' 1942 Columbia recording of "Fly Right" a/k/a "Epistrophy" which was unissued until 1966(on the Columbia LP "The Sound of Harlem" according to Ira Gitler)

Joe Guy is one of the trumpets in the jam band led by Charlie Christian in the Minton's Playhouse recordings made by Jerry Newman in 1941. Lips Page is one of the other trumpets, but from what I understand it is Guy that plays the majority of the solos in those sessions. If so, he was a very good player in the swing style. I have never encountered information indicating what happened to him either.

It is also said that Thelonious Monk is the pianist on some sides, though this is disputed. To my ears, the pianist said to be Monk doesn't sound anything like him, even bearing in mind that in 1941 he is also said to have sounded more like Teddy Wilson than his mature self.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com