[78-L] Jerry's Records - Pittsburgh (was New Member)

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Wed Nov 10 20:11:35 PST 2010

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:31:16 -0700
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
Subject: Re: [78-L] New Member
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

From: "zimrec at juno.com" <zimrec at juno.com>
> As far as the store in Pittsburgh, it's called Jerry's Records in the Penn Hills section.

Actually it is called "Whistlin' Willie's" and has a separate entrance
to the building from Jerry's, although it does indeed interconnect with
it once you are upstairs.  But they do have two separate check-outs.

> It's been there since 1994. When I visited in May 1995, Jerry had a large stock
> of 78s recently acquired which he had not, as of then, made available to the public.
> Not long ago, his son took over running the 78 part of the operation as a separate
> entity, but more recently, the son folded the separate operation which has now been
> merged back into the original store. His son still goes on buying trips scouting for
> 78s. See http://www.jerrysrecords.com
I don't see anything on Jerry's web site that shows Willie's merged back
with Jerry's.  In fact, there are links to the Willie webpage
http://whistlinwillies.com/  and they list two separate phone numbers.
Bryan Wright didn't mention anything about a re-merger when we talked
about Willies a couple of weeks ago at FOTR, and Bryan lives a few
blocks away from the stores.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com ---------------------------------------------------------------- The information about Jerry's son giving up running the 78 operation as a separate entity came to me via  phone call from Jerry about a week or two prior to FOTR.  I didn't inquire as to the date when it became effective, but I assumed that it was relatively recently. Art