[78-L] Jack Palmer

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Nov 10 19:25:52 PST 2010

From: Steve Ramm
> Did I miss a posting somewhere? I JUST heard that our good friend Jack
> Palmer (Mr. Vernon Dalhart) died just before Halloween! There will be a
> short tribute to him in the December "In The Groove" but this was shocking
> news to me! Jack contributed so much to our hobby and was the nicest guy
> to chat with at ARSC Conferences - where he gave his Dalhart paper. (SAdly
> it was before the Conference programs were put up on the ARSC website for
> us all to hear.).
>
> I did dig through my photos and found one I took of him giving his paper
> at the ARSC Conference in Austin in 2005. I'd like to share this tribute
> to Jack. Look at the photo at: http://tinyurl.com/29faytb   and think of
> our friend.

The harsh, sad and bitter reality is that we can expect a LOT more similar
messages in coming time! I have no idea what the average age of us 78
collectors (or 78-L in general) is...but I expect it is WELL into "senior-
citizen-hood"...?! Somewhere out there is some young (now) 78 fan who
will be, in a few decades or so, the last 78 collector...and thus wind up
with all the 78's that don't get "land-filled" by unknowing descendants
who are charged with settling the estates of collectors...?!

Apparently, libraries and similar institutions are not very interested in
receiving and preserving our 78's...?!

As far as Mr. Palmer, I used to see him at occasional CAPS (Canadian...)
meetings; in fact, I used to save Compo issues of VD sides in case he
didn't have a copy!

Steven C. Barr