[78-L] Savoy [was Walter Winchell]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 8 20:39:32 PST 2010

The 1941 date is incorrect..it's October 1940 per my notes. Or February 1940,
per Lord, who doesn't list the Savoy issue at all and screws up the coupling of
the 4 Ammor sides and doesn't list Ammor 108.

Nat King Cole
[C6646-7] Nat King Cole
Nat King Cole (p,vcl) Oscar Moore (g) Wesley Prince (b) prob. Lee Young (d) added
Los Angeles, prob. February, 1940
AM521-A    I like to riff    Var 8340, Savoy SJL1205, SJL2224, ZDS1205 [CD]
AM522-A    By the river Sainte Marie       -           -                  -
AM523    Black spider stomp    Ammor 109, Savoy SJL1205, ZDS1205 [CD]
AM524    On the sunny side of the street         -          -       , SJL2224,
ZDS1205 [CD] ,
         Milan (F)32963/2 [CD]
Note: Although some sources show date for this session as November, 1940 or
even November, 1941, this earlier date has more validity when compared to other
  Varsity record issues of the period and is cited by Classics CD liner.
Mx AM521-A renumbered as Mx S5898 and Mx AM524 renumbered as MX S5899 by Savoy.
Milan (F)32963/2 [CD] titled "Jazz : The Beginnings"; see various flwg sessions
to February 27, 1945 for more titles; rest of CD by Lionel Hampton.
All above titles also on Vogue (F)VG655-650120 [CD], Classics (F)757 [CD].

(I Like to Riff/Sunny Side of the Street are on Varsity 8340 and Savoy 600 and
probably on Ammor 108, although I've never seen that issue.)

dl