[78-L] Savoy [was Walter Winchell]

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Nov 8 20:13:38 PST 2010

Indeed.
It is in Rust-JR6 (can't remember if the late1941 date is correct) and was on Savoy 600.
Savoy had a very odd numbering method, choosing "beautiful" nrs for special issues
(like in albums; IIRC starting with 550), and 600 was probably released long before
the catalog series had reached 599.
Maybe they planned a popular vocal series, starting with 600, but it never happened,
and the first part of the main series was 500-899.
Another strange cat.nr was used for a very early release of a Joe Marsala record.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Savoy also had two early King Cole sides which it acquired from Varsity which
acquired them from Ammor.

dl

On 11/8/2010 10:45 PM, Han Enderman wrote:
> Probably the first Savoy release after its early black label 100 series is Savoy 500,
> the start of the main jazz/R&B series, with Henderson's Crown recording of
> Sugar Foot Stomp, taken from Varsity.
>
> Han Enderman
> ===
> currently owned by Denon I think) claimed to own it by virtue of "owning" the
> rights to Varsity masters which included many originals from Crown. Columbia
> had no direct right of succession to it but could have tried to license a track
> or just used it and made a "best effort" to determine the owner.
>
> Columbia always owned Harmony and Velvet-Tone, and acquired OKeh in 1926.
>
> dl
>
> On 11/8/2010 8:46 PM, Dan Van Landingham wrote:
>> Was Crown one of those labels swallowed up by Columbia?

<<<