[78-L] Freddy or... r

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 17:57:58 PST 2010

All of the records I've seen by Martin all spell his firsst name as
"Freddy".I've got Freddy Martin recordi-
ngs on Bluebird,Victor and more recently,Capitol("Concerto!")which was a
rerecording of all of the "cla-
sical" stuff he did for RCA in the '40s.The Capitol LP I have shoaws him playing
soprano sax.I've only seen one Brunswick 78 of him.I don't know when he signed
with RCA.The earliest recording I have is a
1938 Bluebird of "A Serenade to the Stars";the Victor cover was by Bunny Berigan
which I have.It and
the Martin Bluebird came from that same batch of 78s I mentioned:the ones
accidently found by the new
owner of Sunset Automatic Music Company in 1994.Located in Coos Bay,Oregon,they
were around for
many years previously.In 1974,I added to my R&B,Rock & Roll and big band jazz
collection when the
company sold off a bunch of like new 45s.I also bought a few stereo 33 singles
by Count Basie on Roul-ette from 1958(charts by Benny Carter).