[78-L] "Protection" and other problems

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Nov 6 20:30:50 PDT 2010

Again,  I'm not talking about just auctions but sales via web sites,  email
orders,  etc.  My regular activities in the rare book business don't involve
a lot of auction related sales.

Of course any item sold through the mail should be returnable for any
reason...that's fine with me.  I do have a problem with those who claim they
have not received something when all evidence says that they have,  or the
ones who receive something and hold it for ransom in order to negotiate
price.  This happens not a lot,  but it is very aggravating when it does.  I
guess it's not so bad in the record business,  but there is more and more
on-line and mail fraud in the rare book trade,  and most of it comes from
countries outside of the US...that is confirmed by what I have heard from
booksellers in Europe,  Japan and South America.

In thirty-five years of selling books and a few records through the mail,
I've had no more than a dozen things returned for any reason...most of those
were because I'd mis-described something but a few were just because the
buyer changed his or her mind.  Either way,  the money was returned or (as
we have always shipped many books on invoice) the bill was cancelled.

And,  yes...I love my business and love my record collection,  but the money
really does matter.  It doesn't buy happiness but it makes the path towards
happiness a little smoother!