[78-L] Pearl Records

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 07:12:29 PDT 2010

T,

Pearl Records was run by Larry Vincent out of Newport, Ky. from 1944 to about 1950-51; some non-Party material and LPs that appeared on the label may date from a somewhat later time. The "Pearl Trio" was simply one name among many that Vincent concocted on the label to conceal that virtually all of Pearl's releases were by the same artist, even though anyone who would've bought these records in any number would have realized that. The recordings were manufactured by King Records and may have been made in its Cincinnati studio. The musicians may have been the same players who worked with Vincent at The Lookout House and Beverly Hills, both mob-owned nightspots in Newport, although the quality of some solos indicate that expert studio musicians from King may have sat in on some numbers.

Vincent's family owns all of the material released on Pearl and continues to receive royalties on the recordings. Stateside CD issues are rare, and the only domestic CD I know containing anything of Vincent is the first of the Doctor Demento Novelty compilations which includes "The Freckle Song." However other tracks have been released overseas. A complete listing -- minus the non-party and non-78 sides -- may be found at David Diehl's excellent Blue Pages site at http://hensteeth.com/vblue.html

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

Message: 16