[78-L] Ray Hetherton

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 14:37:35 PDT 2010

That's correct.That's the way I remember it via Sudhalter's book on Bix.It had
something to do with a
dispute Whiteman had with Nat Shilkret over who got what material to
record.Whiteman did go with
Columbia but apparently his association with them didn't pan out and was back at
Victor around the

time Beiderbecke died on 6 Aug 1931.I once spoke to Bill Challis about his
association with Bix.The
first conversation was in the summer of 1988 the second in 1994.He died later
that year as I recall.He
was one who claimed Bix's middle name was Bismarck which is the way I had always
heard it.Thanks
again for the information.I learn alot from you guys out there.I've been into
jazz,big band up to mid '50s
Miles and Chet Baker.I used to play trumpet and the saxes in a couple of big
bands here in the Coos Bay
and North Bend,Oregon areas since 1968 when I was 17.I got hooked on big bands
back in 1965 at the
age of 14 after hearing Bunny Berigan for the first time via a local radio show
at the KBBR studios in
North Bend,Oregon.I learned how to play jazz trumpet afterwards.