[78-L] A Canuck oddity?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Oct 24 21:12:31 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Actually it's the Black & White set, which I've had on both US and
> Canuckistanian pressings (the Canadians are SLIGHTLY quieter). I think
> you'll
> see that the spine of the album looks like a Sparton product, similar to
> Canadian Columbia sets, but that the front cover may be an imported slick
> with
> "Musicana" added to it. (Signature was being issued in Canada by Maple
> Leaf at
> this time, I think..there's a ton of research to be done into the Canadian
> companies that covered US indies, and it's something I'm working on at the
> moment, while there are still a few warm bodies who remember who what
> where
> when and why).

Sadly, we lost a LOT of information when Mr. Brethour passed away...!
He knew a LOT about Canadian "indie" issues; he did compile some
discographic volumes...but nowhere near covering everything he had
learned...?!

The message here is that us 78 collectors/accumulators are rapidly
reaching "old age" and beyond; in fact, my guess is that that is the
current case virtually world-wide? In another 20-30 years, the "last
78 collector" will either inherit...purchase cheaply...or find in the
trash...MANY thousands of no-longer-wanted 78 records!

Steven C. Barr