[78-L] Rare 78's for sale on E-Bay

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 23 08:32:52 PDT 2010

On 10/23/2010 7:05 AM, marimbamoods at comcast.net wrote:
> "Ah...the late Jim Hadfield! I used to make annual (or less) trips across
> the river to buy 78's therefrom; he also knew that I collected Grey
> Gull items...and found me my "Radiex promo record" announcing
> that Radiex records (Radiaces?!) were now electrically recorded. IIRC
> he charged me $3 for it! I have often wondered what happened
> to his barn(s?) full of 78's...?"
>

> they're still there, in richville. jim's son, eric, runs the place now. there are something on the order of 300,000 - 400,000 discs in that barn. as jim was driving off in his truck to get another batch, he used to say, "only way to get the records is go." he was a real fine person, as well as a knowledgeable record dealer.
>

> david harvey

Jim was wonderful..on my first visit to Richville, Jim GAVE me a white label DJ
pressing of the elusive Spike Jones "By the Beautiful Sea". On the other hand,
he could charge for a rare good one, like Ethel Merman on Scroll Victor. He'd
also loan stuff, which was how I ended up making the first transfers of the
1923-24 Western Electric test electricals and a bunch of 1930 experimentals.

I dealt with Eric a couple of times..not as prone to give the stuff away.