[78-L] NBC (was: YOU)

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 21:03:35 PDT 2010

I've just spent some time reviewing the 1936 and 1937 seasons of the Jack
Benny Program.  Here are some notable variants on the NBC system cues:

June 14, 1936,  This program originates in the NBC Studios in Hollywood.
This is the National Broadcasting Company.

October 4, 1936,  The Jell-O Program starring Jack Benny has originated in
the NBC Studios in Hollywood over the Red Network.  This is the National
Broadcasting Company.

October 11, 1936,  The Jell-O Program starring Jack Benny with Mary
Livingstone was a Red Network presentation of the NBC Studios in
Hollywood...This is the National Broadcasting Company.

October 25, 1936,  This program originated in the NBC Studios in Hollywood.
This is the Red Network of the National Broadcasting Company.

December 27, 1936,  The Jell-O Program comes to you from Hollywood over the
Red Network of the National Broadcasting Company.

January 3, 1937,  The Jell-O Program reaches you over the Red Network from
the NBC Studios in Hollywood.  This is the National Broadcasting Company.

June 27, 1937,  The Jell-O Program has come to you from Hollywood over the
Red Network of the National Broadcasting Company.

October 3, 1937,  This is the National Broadcasting Company.

Most of the chimes heard in these programs sound like the hand-struck
versions, but occasionally the Rangertones are heard.

I must have been dreaming that I heard NBC, the National Broadcasting
Company this early.  I was probably thinking of the mention of the NBC
Studios.

Incidentally, prior to fall 1936 a series of nameless NBC announcers
(obviously in a different studio) gave the system cue at the end of
programs.  Don began giving the cue on the October 4, 1936 season premiere.
At some point later, the cue was given by nameless NBC announcers.  Anybody
know the reasons for this?  I should mention that the Benny show was on the
Blue network in 1935-36, and moved over to Red for the 1936 season.

Sammy Jones