[78-L] War of the Worlds (was NBC, was YOU)

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 19:45:35 PDT 2010

I was very pleasantly surprised to win it, but it was expensive...

I don't have the LP version, only the old Metacom and newer Radio Spirits CD
releases.  These are obviously from the same source, though the Radio
Spirits one is supposed to be "digitally remastered."  It actually sounds
much worse than Metacom's.  I've always assumed that both of these were
sourced from one of the LPs.  Was there ever a complete (except for the
station break) LP version released?

My 12" lacquers could very well be dubs.  The sound is not great, and there
is a good bit of inner-groove distortion at the ends of the sides.  However,
they are recorded in "automatic" sequence: 1/3, 2/4, etc. and have a bit of
overlap from side to side, suggesting they may be originals.

Carl Phillips's missing words come at about 15:30 into the show.  The words
in question are, "Someone's crawling out of the hollow top.  Someone, or
something I can see staring out of that black hole through luminous
discs..."  The reissues lose "crawling out of the hollow top."  Also the two
"someones" are overlapped a bit with each other.  Since it's around
15-minutes in, it's probably a side join on the 16" originals, or an attempt
to edit the two sides together on tape.  My 78s don't appear to be dubbed
from a source that had side joins at that point: the nature of the sound and
surface noise doesn't change during that sentence.

What is the source of your master tape?

Sammy Jones

Mike Biel wrote:
So YOU got that set!!  I saw it listed. I figured it would go for more
than I could afford so I didn't bid.
What are the words and where are they in the recording?  I really only
have played my tape and although I have the LPs I don't know where this
glitch is that everybody mentions.  If yours plays thru it, I need to
compare it with my tape (on CD) and the LPs and CDs -- which all seem to
be derived from the Evolution Manheim Fox version.  I got my tape a year
before any of the LPs.  Have you transferred your discs yet?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com