[78-L] NBC (was: YOU)

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 14:17:39 PDT 2010

I'm not sure about "the best next thing."  I don't have a copy at hand (in fact, I've never owned a copy, but once I found Invasion from Mars at my public library and I photocopied the whole script).  I just found the book on Amazon and placed an order.  When it arrives, I'll check.

I recently got a 12" 78 rpm lacquer set of the War of the Worlds that was supposed to have been owned by Orson, himself, and it has that station break intact.  The Harry Smith labels say CBS/WABC, but there is no WABC station ID in the break or at the end, so it must be from the line and not off-air.

My copy also has a few words spoken by Carl Phillips which are missing/garbled due to a bad side change/tape edit on all of the commercial reissues I've heard.

Sammy Jones

Mike Biel wrote:
So does the script in the sourcebooks mediaFusion book.  This one also
says "the best next thing" which was Welles verbal error.  Do the other
books say "the next best thing" which is what should have been said?
(By the way, for the second year I will be broadcasting from the Grovers
Mill landing site om the night of Oct 30.  This year the broadcast will
be on RadioOnceMore.com and might be from 6 PM to midnight.)  We'll be
playing the master tape I have that includes the 30 seconds of slight
surface noise during the middle station break.  We might also be
analyzing the modifications some fiend made to the recording last year
to try to trick people into believing there were two performances
recorded.  And we hope to have the WKBW version from 1968.