[78-L] NBC (was: YOU)

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 14 11:02:29 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 10:30 -0700, Michael Biel wrote:
> I should have listened to it again -- the recording does say "The
> National Broadcasting Company".  But David's point shows that we need to
> be more careful in what we put down in referring to how any of the
> networks actually identified themselves on the air.  It does make a
> difference.

Right, but we were talking about the network identifying *itself*,
rather than identifying a subsidiary component.

"NBC Symphony" was easier and faster to say, but in 1937 when someone
heard "NBC" by itself on the radio, chances may have been that the first
thing that popped to mind was the divided-circle N B C trademark that
appeared on the top left corner of the packaging for products of the
National Biscuit Company - today's Nabisco.

MS