[78-L] NBC (was: YOU)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Oct 14 10:30:55 PDT 2010

I should have listened to it again -- the recording does say "The
National Broadcasting Company".  But David's point shows that we need to
be more careful in what we put down in referring to how any of the
networks actually identified themselves on the air.  It does make a
difference.

Into the 1940s there are occasional uses of NBC.  I especially like
Sammy's reminder of how Welles said "the CBS" in his War of the Worlds
closing, with an emphasis on "THE".  I am curious of what script he sees
with the longer name crossed out.  Is there a facsimile of the original?
 The script in the Sourcebook mediaFusion book has it as "the Columbia
Broadcasting System".  I don't have my other books with the script
handy.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com