[78-L] Albums

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 13 19:19:21 PDT 2010

From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> Back in the late fifties I remember seeing numerous 45s that had three
> tracks
> per side.I also remember
> seeing numerous TOPS 45 with three sides as well.I had,until a few years
> ago,one
> three tracks per side
> 45 of some late fifties rock and roll.On the subject of extended play
> recordings,I also had some extended
> play recordings on Cameo(the label from the twenties not the one Bobby
> Rydell
> recorded for around 1960)as well as Harmony.The only other recordings I
> still have are a few RCA ETs
> with three tracks per side.

There were a number of 78's in the 1949?-195? period that contained two or
three
songs per side (in fact, I collect these!). Many/most of these were "covers"
of
popular hit tunes of their time. Tops was one of these...as I recall, they
were sold
at Woolworth's "dime stores." There was a later Canadian Cameo label (as
well
as a number of similar ones) which sold these "multi-track" 78's.

Steven C. Barr