[78-L] Flagstad white label discs [FWD]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 13 19:11:51 PDT 2010

From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> I once owned an RCA late forties pressing of "Sobbin' Blues" by Bunny
> Berigan
> and the label read "by
> special request" on one side of the label.In the movie "Swing Kids" I
> remember
> seeing a circa 1953 RCA
> 78 of "King Porter Stomp" by Benny Goodman.The movie took place in 1939
> Germany.Where was the
> German issue which brings to mind a question:did RCA use the Victor name
> in
> Germany?

Answer...no! Victor was legally and effectively part of the corporate
"empire"
that was "Victor" in North (and possibly South?) America, and was The
Gramophone (briefly "& Typewriter") Company in Britain/Europe. IIRC,
the German operation split from the UK one after the two countries went
to war in 1914. However, some pre-WWI Victor sides were illicitly pressed
later in Germany?

Steven C. Barr