[78-L] Albums

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Sun Oct 10 22:53:38 PDT 2010

On 9 okt 2010, at 21.29, Michael Biel wrote:
>> Perhaps 78 rpm disks were not generally referred to as albums as they were
>> clearly one disk with an (often) open hole in the sleeve, just like many
>> but not all 7" 45 rpm. disks and had 1 / 2 tracks, yet the 33.33 rpm disks
>> had NORMALLY many tracks even if they were on one disk. In the 80s we
>> referred to 12" singles and 12" albums to differentiate also.
>
> The distinction is that usually a 78 is a "single".  45s on the other
> hand are also usually singles except when they are "EPs" or Extended
> Plays.  There we have one disc with the contents of two singles per
> Idisc.
Indeed, as I speculated above, I don't believe we are in disagreement.

> Since I have been doing the research with the original contemporary
> industry publications, let me explain the usage of the word.  Empty
> storage books were "albums".  Individual discs issued separately from
> each other were "singles" or "records".  Groups of related records which
But of course, industry terms and "common parlance" can sometimes be at variance, no matter how much one attempts
to correct the use of language.

> Number 6 specifically states the word used for LPs, and I don't think
> any of us had ever objected to an LP being called an album.  Our
And the other references indicated how the term used in number 6 could have came about, i.e. through reuse of a term already in common usage.

Darren

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦