[78-L] runout spirals

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Oct 9 11:54:21 PDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] runout spirals
From: Dan Van Landingham <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, October 09, 2010 2:28 pm
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

> Can you tell me anything about the recording companies that used
> offset mounting holes?I remember George T. Simon,in reference to
> Billy Eckstines earliest recordings in "The Big Bands" from 1966.I
> have one of his on National but I know nothing about the records
> he recorded for DeLuxe in 1944.

I don't understand this question.  By "offset mounting holes" do you
mean the extra driving pin holes in recording discs we were talking
about?  These are only seen in lacquer coated recording discs, not
manufactured shellac or vinyl pressings like National or DeLuxe
(although there are some red vinyl Silvertone 78s with an extra hole in
them for some unknown reason.  I don't understand what you are referring
to in Simon's book.  (There WAS a company in the 1940s which made home
recording discs which also used the brand name National, but I don't
suppose this is what is being discussed unless what you have is a home
recording someone had made of a broadcast on a National disc if what you
have has driving pin holes in it.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at Ambiel.com