[78-L] Albums

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Oct 8 19:22:42 PDT 2010

I'm afraid common sense is in the minority now. Any CD release is called
an "album" these days, whether it has one disc or multiple discs. The
"album" label was put on LPs almost from the very beginning of their
existence. So this egregious and nonsensical error is fully engrained
into the public's lexicon and there's nothing we can do about it.

Cary Ginell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is true that that the term "album" was used throughout the LP era, but
usually to refer to a record containing several songs.  This, of course, evolved
from the fact that an LP was equivalent to an album of 78s.  But I don't think
the term "album" was used as often to refer to an LP with one work on it unless
you are referring to a collection of such records -  you might look at a shelf
of records and call them classical albums, but I don't think you'd look at a
recording of Schubert's 9th and call it an album.

I don't hear the term applied to a CD very often, simply because "CD" is easier
to say.

But I agree with Dr. Biel, I have never heard of a single 78 referred to as an
album.

db