[78-L] Kansas City Jazz (Decca DL-8044) 78 rpm set info?

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 21:09:13 PDT 2010

I've got a mid 60's lp issue of this which was originally put out in the 50's.
It's 12 tracks have Count Basie, Eddie Durham, Pete Johnson, Andy Kirk, Hot Lips
Page, Joe Turner and Mary Lou Williams as the artists with all the recordings
made sometime in the 30's for Decca. Have never found the original 50's lp nor
the 78 rpm set of this record which was also issued in the 50's. I just wonder
if they are really that rare or have I just been unlucky in my hunting for them
all these years. Sometime I might dig that album up then post the track listings
with the artists so that someone here could give me the original 30's Decca
record numbers & tell me which track is an A side or a B side plus whats on the
other side of the original 30's issue records. Maybe one day I might be able to
track them all down. Not that I'm keen about any type of jazz (I'm really not)
but some of the tracks on that lp are pretty good so finding the 50's 78 rpm
reissue discs or better yet the original 1930's issues might be fun!!

The only one I know about is Decca 18125-B which is Doggin Around by Count Basie
& His Orchestra with no idea whats on the A side as I've never seen that record.
Anybody know?

I dug up the record & here is the track listing.

South

Lafayette
Oran Hot Lips Page

Good Morning Blues (Vocal by James Bushing)

Doggin Around
Count Basie & His Orchestra

Moten's Swing

I Want A Little Girl
Eddie Durham & His Band

627 Stomp
Pete Johnsons Band

Piney Brown Blues
Joe Turner & His Fly Cats

Baby Dear

Harmony Blues
Mary Lou Williams & Her Kansas City Seven

The Count

Twelfth Street Rag
Andy Kirk & His Clouds Of Joy.

Just found the 50's LP issue on Ebay. Yay!! Now to hunt down the 50's 78 rpm
reissue set plus the original 30's 78's.....